My all time favorite mac & cheese comes from a box. Okay, a bag, but you know what I mean. It’s prepackaged and full of stuff that I probably don’t want to know about.
I know homemade mac & cheese can be amazing, but every time I make it, it doesn’t turn out creamy. So when I came across this recipe, I knew I had to give it a shot.
The results? It was creamy! I’m a big fan of baked mac & cheese, but this stove top recipe was amazing! I’d imagine you could even top it with breadcrumbs and more cheese and pop it in the oven for a delicious baked version!
Creamy Stove Top Mac & Cheese
- 1/2 lb elbow pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 2 slices American cheese singles
- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add salt and flour and stir to combine. Slowly add the milk.
- Cook and stir until bubbly.
- Add cheddar and American cheese. Stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour cheese sauce over drained pasta. Stir until pasta is completely coated.
Adapted from Food.com